Thursday, August 19, 2010

Getting into a music department (majoring music)?

can you go to a good college with a good music department with average academics? Let's say I went to a lot of recitals, participate in competition for a certain instrument, do other stuff outside of school. And lets say I play really well. Would I still be able to be able to attend t hat music department without any problems because of my average academics? Would it be harder to get into the music department if my academics were low? Oh and another question. If I were to get a music scholarship of some sort for a music department, like a 10,000 dollar, does that mean that pays for the college too? or is it just for the music department, and make me pay for the college and the music department separately?





Last question: If academics matter, should I take spanish 3 honors and get Bs or spanish regular and get all As? Or does the music department not care at all? Also, could someone give me some brief classes I should take in my high school year?

Getting into a music department (majoring music)?
At some conservatories, academics are important so it helps to keep your grades up. However, the most important part of the admissions process will be your auditions (either taped or live). Getting into a music school is not easy as there are many hopeful applicants and usually only a few spots, so I suggest you apply to as many schools as you can.





Usually a scholarship is only worth the amount stated, so a 10k scholarship will only give you 10k towards tuition, fees, etc.





Depending on your instrument, it would help if you are involved in music outside of school (e.g. community orchestras/theater). Also if you do not already take private lessons, you may want to talk to your parents about getting them (even if you need to pay for them yourself).





As far as high school classes, don't slack in academics because you will need a back up to music in case you injure yourself (e.g. severe tendinitis that stops you from playing) or if you cannot get into a school. Take the normal classes you need to graduate but if there is a music theory class or extra humanities classes available take them.





Best of Luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment